California FarmLink is seeking an experienced Director of Lending to significantly grow our farm loan program. Founded in 1999, California FarmLink is at an exciting inflection point. FarmLink has historically been a technical assistance provider and more recently launched a direct farm microloan program, became CDFI (community development financial institution), and with a small staff, closed 25-30 loans totaling $600-800K per year for the past 2 years. This position has the opportunity to shape the next phase of growth for this exciting – moving beyond farm microloans, increasing the portfolio, and strengthening program infrastructure.
This is an existing position that reports to the Executive Director and manages two staff (Loan Officer and Loan Operations Manager). This position is responsible for achieving program goals of significantly increasing lending and impact while building the appropriate risk management and program infrastructure necessary to become a leading alternative lender to farms that lack access to capital.
What You Will Do
• Leadership: Lead a small team and one of the two flagship programs of California FarmLink, with responsibility for overseeing all program functions (business development, lending, risk management), supporting Executive Director on fundraising, and playing a role on the management team in building, motivating and retaining a strong team across the organization.
• Lending & Impact: Lead loan program business development strategy and execution, manage 1 loan officer, underwrite loans, develop new loan products, and manage other activities necessary to achieve loan, portfolio performance and community impact goals.
• Risk Management: Manage Loan Operations Manager (who oversees loan documentation, loan servicing, collections, portfolio management and reporting) and partner with Executive Director, loan committee and board of directors to ensure FarmLink implements sound risk management strategies that align with community impact goals and investor needs.
• Program Infrastructure: Manage program infrastructure that will ensure the stability and growth of the program including staffing; internal collaboration with Access to Land Program, Finance and Fundraising; external stakeholders such as investors and Farm Service Agency; and special projects.
Qualifications & Profile
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and background:
• 10+ years experience lending to and/or underwriting small business or microloans at a CDFI, ag lender such as FSA or Farm Credit, community bank or other financial institution
• 5+ years experience as a leader in a Director of Lending, Program Director or equivalent role that includes supervision experience and building great teams
• Relevant experience understanding small-scale agricultural businesses
• Demonstrated self-starter that can work independently, take initiative, and make hard decisions
• Great communicator and team player
• Fluency with Microsoft Office, Google Docs, databases (such as salesforce) and loan management software
• Fluency in Spanish preferred
Location, Travel, Compensation & Terms
This is a full-time position based out of FarmLink’s headquarters in Santa Cruz, CA. Regular local travel within California required. Salary range: $80,000-$90,000 depending on experience. California FarmLink offers a generous benefit plan, including health insurance after 60 days, retirement, and vacation. California FarmLink maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
How To Apply
Please email a thoughtful cover letter explaining your interest in the position and organization, resume, and three references to Anthony “at” cafarmlink.org. No phone calls please.
Who We Are
California FarmLink is a statewide nonprofit whose mission is to link independent farmers and ranchers with the land and financing they need for a sustainable future. For more info: www.cafarmlink.org