Say Hay Farms is a certified organic farm in Yolo County, CA, entering its fifth season. We currently raise a diversity of vegetables on more than 20 acres plus 800 laying hens, 5 acres of almonds, and an acre of oranges for providing high quality produce to our CSA, farmers’ market, and wholesale customers in the Sacramento Valley and San Francisco Bay Area.
We are a people-focused farm intent on operating a great workplace with serious and skilled farmers. We do not have a separate harvest crew and management. Instead, our small size allows us to focus on leveraging each person’s unique skills while sharing the responsibility of harvest, marketing, and day-to-day management of the farm. We are seeking seasoned farmers to join our tight crew and help us grow.
JOB DESCRIPTION – FARMER
· Harvest, wash, pack and grade crops for our CSA, farmers’ markets, and wholesale customers.
· Transplant crops.
· Cultivate and weed crops.
· Basic irrigation using buried drip and sprinkler pipes.
· Raise and care for laying hens – including brooding, feeding, monitoring, cleaning coops plus collecting, washing, and packing eggs.
· Drive box trucks, pickups, and small tractors in our fields, between properties, and when making deliveries in busy cities.
· Educate our customers and provide an excellent experience when participating in sales and deliveries.
· Light construction.
· Actively help to improve our systems as we grow into a new space.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
· Two or more years experience on a production vegetable farm, including harvest duties. This includes repetitive heavy lifting of up to 50 pounds.
· Demonstrated understanding of vegetable crops.
· A natural ability to hustle, move quickly, and enjoy working hard.
· A desire to understand the economics of small farming. Experience a plus.
· Team player with a positive attitude and good sense of humor who can also work independently.
· Ability to assess, plan, and organize.
· Basic mechanical skills necessary to operate vehicles, tractors, and farm equipment.
· Willing to make a 2-year commitment.
The Farmer position is salaried and competitive, with 2 weeks of paid vacation. The average workweek is 50 hours - more in the summer, less in the winter.
· Email a resume highlighting your field experience to email@example.com
· Answer the question, “Why do you want to work at a small farm like Say Hay Farms?” and give a brief description of your agricultural career goals.
· A timeline of your availability.
· Please include 2 farm references.
If your application seems like a good fit, we will contact you to schedule a phone interview. After that, we ask for a field trial day. For this reason, local applicants are prioritized.
If offered a position, we have a 60-day probationary period that is hourly wage. At the end of 60 days, we will mutually assess whether you are a good fit for a salaried position on our team.
This is a unique, excellent opportunity for those who have owned a small farm or would like to own a small farm and appreciate the economic difficulty of fresh-market organic farming to join a collective of skilled professionals who love what we do.