The apprenticeship runs from .
The goal of the apprenticeship program at Soil Born Farms is to provide training for aspiring farmers by teaching the basic concepts and practical applications of organic food production. At Soil Born Farms, organic food production is a piece of the broader work of the organization, tying food systems into the larger social issues of food security, social justice, and public and ecological health.
This full-time apprenticeship is designed for people who want to pursue a career in sustainable “specialty crop production” or mixed fruit and vegetable farming. Interested applicants can apply with an intention to participate in only the first-year apprenticeship, but the ideal candidate will be interested in pursuing the second-year apprenticeship as well. Apprentices are exposed to all aspects of food production through hands-on field work (40-45 hours/week), formal classes on sustainable crop production farm business skills (30-35 hours total), monthly readings and discussions, and monthly regional farm tours. Three positions are available each season for Second-Year Apprentices, taking on increased responsibility at either the American River Ranch or the Farm on Hurley Way.
• Ability to commit to a full-time eight-month apprenticeship, from March through October. Late arrivals will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• Commitment to sustainable agriculture
• Strong interest in pursuing a career in farming or community food systems
• Interest in working in a physically-demanding position in all kinds of weather
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
• An interest in pursuing a career in sustainable agriculture in the Sacramento region
• Some experience working or volunteering on farms and/or doing outdoor manual labor
Housing & Compensation:
10’x10’ canvas platform tents with access to kitchen, living room and bathroom shared between the five apprentices. Apprentices will receive a stipend for a portion of the hours worked on the farm. Staff eat together daily during the work week to eat a prepared lunch. Apprentices will also receive food from the farm (vegetables, eggs, etc) and a stipend for supplementary food.
Start date: March 3, 2015
More information and application available at:
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.