Capay Valley Farm Shop (CVFS) is seeking an experienced manager to assume operational responsibility for the management of our 3,000 square foot aggregation and distribution facility for local farms and ranches. The Operations Manager (OM) will work closely with a dynamic team of employees to improve core services and drive the organization’s next phase of growth.
CVFS offers a rare opportunity for families and institutions to buy 100% local, seasonal food direct from more than 40 small and mid-scale family farms. Located in Esparto, California, CVFS was established in 2007 to connect Capay Valley producers with regional markets as closely as possible. We are a for-profit, community-based social enterprise that offers services to our clients who include consumers, business partners, and farmers.
- Operations Lead: Serve as operations lead, supervising Operations Assistant Manager, Operations Associate(s), and Delivery Driver.
- Manage and print out all paperwork needed for daily pack management.
- Ensure implementation of pack practices and procedures at daily pack-outs to ensure smooth running operations.
- Communicate specific and general requirements to Operations Team.
- Oversee inventory system and management of all products.
- Oversee implementation of food safety plan, including scheduled cleaning, reporting, and testing.
- Oversee scheduled maintenance of equipment and vehicles to ensure safe and essential operations.
- Systems: The OM will need to quickly become proficient with the systems that run the hub’s order fulfillment, inventory management, cleaning, equipment and vehicle maintenance. OM is responsible for maintaining and updating documentation of core systems to facilitate staff training and continual improvement.
- Business Management: Responsible for operating profit & loss performance with an emphasis on expense management.
- Management Team: Participate in weekly Management Team meetings to coordinate manager implementation of weekly activities and strategic initiatives. Timely and effective communication with employees via phone, email, and in-person.
- Passionate and knowledgeable about local agriculture, food hubs, and fresh food distribution.
- This is a Customer Service business. The position needs a people person to effectively manage staff, work with clients, and build connections to farmers and local food system partners.
- Operations Manager needs to be entrepreneurial, anticipating challenges and opportunities, and solution-oriented in addressing those opportunities and challenges proactively.
- The position requires someone who is detail-oriented, good with logistics and scheduling; and numbers-oriented, capable of managing based on financial performance.
- While the Operations Manager is not responsible for direct sales, CVFS’ success nonetheless requires the OM to be an effective representative—eager to articulate the value of the services offered and committed to exceeding client’s expectations.
- While the job entails many administrative functions, this is not a desk job: the Operations Manager needs to be hardworking, able to get to work at 8:00am; work weekend shifts; and pitch in to help with pack, move pallets, or drive the delivery truck when the need arises.
- 3 years of experience as a manager in the food industry.
- Experience managing warehouse operations.
- Working familiarity with computers and software including Office applications and cloud-based computing.
- Valid driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and mobility to ascend and descend the rear-end of a box truck.
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods (>20 hrs/wk).
- Ability to work outdoors in warm and cold weather.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation is dependent on experience. Expected salary range is $27,040-37,440.
- Paid vacation leave and other benefits apply based on full-time employment. Benefits include complimentary produce and discounts on specialty products.
Capay Valley Farm Shop’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation. We are committed to recruiting, training, developing, and promoting employees on the basis of individual qualifications, competence, and merit. More policies are detailed in the company’s personnel policy.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to <email@example.com>.
Farm or Business Name: Capay Valley Farm Shop
Location: 26797 State Highway 16, Esparto, CA, 95627