SAGE (Sustainable Agriculture Education) has an opening for a Program Associate to take charge of a variety of program projects and associated communications and administrative tasks. SAGE is a lean, entrepreneurial organization providing leadership at the intersection of agricultural land preservation, urban planning, and healthy food-systems. The ideal candidate has prior experience working in a fast-paced non-profit and is ready to grow their career as a non-profit leader working on issues related to food and farming, planning, and public health.
The position is located at the SAGE office in the David Brower Center in Downtown Berkeley. Areas of responsibility, percentage time (50% to 100% FTE) and schedule are all flexible. The position reports directly to both the President and the Program Director, and will work as part of a team with staff, contract consultants, and project partners.
SAGE was founded in 2001 by Sibella Kraus, the current President. The Program Director is Poppy Davis. Both have extensive experience in food and farming and non-profit management. SAGE’s mission is to cultivate urban-edge places where farming and local food culture can thrive and be celebrated. We work collaboratively with partners including public agencies, farmers, educators, conservationists, health experts, economists, planners, public-interest organizations, and community groups. Our goals are to: (1) cultivate urban-edge places that model sustainable agriculture integrated with resilient communities; (2) broaden the community of supporters for urban-edge farming; and (3) provide expertise, resources, tools and convening opportunities that advance vibrant regional agriculture and help farmers thrive.
- Sunol AgPark - support the AgPark Education/Site Manager and Program Director
- Liaison between AgPark farmers and SAGE for routine communications
- In charge of education program scheduling with schools and teachers
- Coordinate workshops, field days and other public events
- Beginning Farmer Education - support the Program Director
- Co-ordinate with partner organizations on outreach to beginning farmers
- Evaluate program offerings and compile reports on program accomplishments
- Coyote Valley and Food Works in San Jose - support project team
- Support the Discover Coyote Valley website
- Research issues and develop communications materials to engage stakeholders in San Jose in visioning a “food-city” and valuing the agricultural resources of the nearby Coyote Valley
- Evaluate program activities and compile reports on program accomplishments
- Provide similar support to other programs as they come on line
Communications and Development (35%)
- Provide leadership in maintaining the SAGE website
- Produce quarterly e-newsletters
- Maintain Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Support the year-end donor appeal
- Manage SalesForce and Vertical Response contact databases
Opportunities to learn and grow by:
- Drafting routine correspondence, content for newsletters and reports, etc.
- Developing new outreach and engagement strategies for potential donors
- Participating in grant-writing, budgeting and program development
- Improving SalesForce and Vertical Response utilization
- Manage general inquiry phone, mail, and email correspondences
- Support senior staff with a variety of as-needed tasks such as: travel and directions, preparing documents and downloads, obtaining contact information, price quotes and estimates, etc.
- Routine office management including overseeing records retention, supplies, and equipment maintenance
- Work closely with bookkeeper to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting
Opportunities to learn and grow by:
- Developing new and improved management systems
- Learning bookkeeping and non-profit budgeting and financial reporting
- A good sense of humor and a great work-ethic
- BA or BS and with at least basic course work in environmental sciences, business or economics, political science, or related fields to support substantive knowledge and interest in issues related to the public interest in food and farming systems
- Great writing skills
- Prior experience working on a variety of priorities in a fast-paced professional environment
- Excellent administrative, organizational, computer and communication skills.
- Salesforce experience a huge plus
- WordPress, Adobe Suite, Photoshop and QuickBooks experience all highly desirable
SAGE is an equal opportunity employer. Salary is in keeping with nonprofit pay scales and is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and a cover letter describing your interest and relevant experience to hiring[at]http://sagecenter.org. Open until filled.