Field Crew Member
Say Hay Farms
1) Performs all harvest and post-harvest duties of vegetable crops in year-round conditions.
2) Assists in daily operations of chicken care, egg washing, and packing.
3) Observes and communicates crop quality issues.
4) Operates with a sense of urgency and efficiency during busy times.
5) Assists is recording data about yield and time.
1) Minimum 1 full year of experience on a for-profit diversified vegetable operation.
2) Basic knowledge of vegetable crops, seasonality, and growing techniques.
4) Good communication skills.
5) Ability to work early, long, and hard. Weeks averaging 50 hours, but will vary with season’s demands and weather conditions.
- Starting wage: $10.50/hour DOE.
- Accrued Paid Time-Off.
- Regular Schedule: Four or five 10-hour days with two days off in a row.
Say Hay Farms started in 2010 with just two acres and 100 hens. Having farmed 20 acres for the past few years, we are completing the transition to our new packing facility and infrastructure in Esparto, CA. We farm two properties totaling about 45 acres of vegetable ground, 5 acres of almonds in need of rehabilitation, and a half-acre of oranges. With the time needed to properly rotate and fertilize our grounds with chickens and cover crops, we usually don’t have more than 25 acres in vegetable production at a time.
Our goal is to meet much of our fertilization needs through pastured hens and cover crops, supplemented with compost and imported manure fertilizer when necessary. Our current laying flocks total 1600 laying hens, with plans for additional flocks.
Having grown for a small 60-member CSA, restaurants, farmers’ markets, independent grocers, co-ops, and wholesale distributors, we are currently on a trajectory towards focusing on the latter.
Our farm business strategy is to have the equipment and systems necessary to operate efficiently with a small team, the data to make informed planning decisions, and the skill and attention to detail needed to execute those plans successfully.
We are a young evolving farm and looking for the right person to help support our growth, and, hopefully grow into a longer-term role in our farm’s success.
Interviewing now. Starting Time Frame: Flexible. This is a wet spring. As early as March 1, as late as June 1. This position is year-round employment.
Please email a brief cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Field Crew.”