24830 County Road 95
Davis CA 95616
Mid-March - Mid-November
M-W-F mornings ~ 20 hrs per week
Friday Farmers Market harvest is a full day May - October
About the Farm
Heavy Dirt Farm (established 2012) is home to a small residential community and a vegetable farm. We consciously grow food for the local community, and participate in various forms of meaningful land based work in order to create a holistic interconnected farm system of people, plants, animals, and the land. The sole proprietor of the vegetable farm is seeking assistance for the duration of the growing season for planting, maintaining, and harvesting 1.5 acres of vegetables & orchard fruit.
We also have a small breeding flock of sheep, and rotationally graze them using an electric fence during the grass season (October - May).
We sell our produce through a small year-round CSA program, a few local restaurants, and a small farmer’s market in Sacramento. Although we are not currently certified Organic, we manage the market garden thoughtfully and holistically. Our practices include:
- No chemical applications: our inputs include OMRI listed compost, animal manures, & Diatomaceous Earth for pest control
- Soil preparation using a small walk-behind tractor
- Manual cultivation: weed control using hoes & other hand tools
- Occultation: weed control with reusable black silage tarps
- Minimal tillage
- Regular Cover Cropping & Crop rotation
- Straw mulching
- Shade cloth for Summer greens: Reusable for MANY years, and greatly reduces water loss.
- Drip irrigation
- Native & insectary hedgerows
- Plenty of research & experimentation!
For more information, check out our website (heavydirtfarm.weebly.com), our facebook page (Heavy Dirt Farm), or our instagram account (heavy_dirt_farm).
JOB POSITION – FARM ASSISTANT(S) / HARVEST HELP
- Support Farmer in all aspects of farm operation in the field and in the packing shed, including but not limited to:
- Sowing & Transplanting
- Weeding & Cultivating with hand tools
- Spreading compost using shovels and a hand cart
- Washing & packing vegetables
- Maintaining a tidy packing shed, cooler, and barn.
- Record keeping
- Moving electric fence, and running sheep out to pasture.
- Additional training and responsibilities in others area of interest may be available if applicable. There is a possibility for this position to evolve into a full- or part-time partnership, with profit sharing, for an experienced candidate.
- Hours are generally mornings - mornings - Friday all day with some flexibility and seasonal variation in the hours worked. The MWF schedule is strict to accommodate our weekly CSA and market harvest.
- Season-long commitment through mid-November. Exact dates are somewhat flexible. There is a possibility for this position to evolve into a full-time, year-round management position for the right candidate.
- General familiarity with fruits, vegetables, and passion for good food and sustainable agriculture.
- Interest in pursuing a career in small-scale market farming.
- Excited to work on a communally managed property hosting multiple independent yet interrelated projects.
- Farm work experience preferred.
- Ability to drive manual transmission preferred.
- Reliable transportation
- Ability and commitment to be reliable and consistent. The veggies don’t stop growing once the heat comes, so we must be there to harvest them EVERY M-W-F.
- Physical ability to lift 50#, bend and stoop for long periods, and perform repetitive tasks (No applicant will be rejected because of a condition or impairment that, with reasonable accommodation, does not prevent performance of work.)
- Ability to withstand Summer temperatures in excess of 100 degrees and Spring / Fall work in rain and cold.
- Applicant should be self-motivated, hardworking, and eager to learn. Flexibility is a must as tasks are varied and the nature of work on our diverse small farm can be highly dynamic.
This is a part-time seasonal position with the possibility for more hours during the height of the growing season (July - October). Compensation will be minimum wage ($10.50/hr) to start with access to farm produce as available. Eggs and lamb may be bought at a discount.
An ideal applicant is interested in participating in many aspects of a small-scale, diversified farming operation & homesteading. Low cost on-site housing opportunities may be available at a future date with the approval of other farm residents.
To apply, please send a resume including:
- Hours of availability M - W - F, and factors that might affect them between now and November.
- Past work experience, including specific responsibilities and duties
- Your goals relating to market farming.
- Farming demands a lot of diverse skills. What specific skills / interests do you have? (carpentry, machine operation & repair, cooking, writing, plumbing, welding, art, retail sales, computers, etc...)
- 2 references
Send to: email@example.com. We will contact you to coordinate an on-farm interview. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact us.